Umbraco 7.15.1 and ClientDependency 1.9.8, ClientDependency-Mvc5 1.9.3
Recently I received an email from a company that had updated their website to Umbraco 7.15.1 and ClientDependency 1.9.8, ClientDependency-Mvc5 1.9.3.
After the update when they viewed the site, all they saw was a white screen. After the customer searched the web and posted the issue on some programming sites they contacted me asking if I could help.
After looking at the site and using Google dev tools, the network tab just returned 'error', and the console tab showed net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED
The customer had static 404 and 500 pages with no dynamic content and these pages displayed OK.
After viewing the packages and code looking for something that may help solve the issue, I noticed the following in the web.config file.
Web.config snippet code.
When the dynamicCompressionBeforeCache attribute is true, IIS dynamically compresses the response the first time a request is made.
The compressed response is put into the output cache, and the cached response is sent to the client.
Subsequent requests are served from the compressed response in the output cache.
When dynamicCompressionBeforeCache is false, IIS puts the noncompressed response into the output cache.
Then, every time that the response is requested, IIS dynamically compresses the cached response as it is sent to the client.
If you set the dynamicCompressionBeforeCache attribute to true, the CPU will dynamically compress the response only one time instead of every time that the page is requested.
Because dynamic compression is CPU-intensive, a setting of true can reduce the server load and improve site throughput.
<urlCompression doDynamicCompression="true" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="true" />
After seeing the above code snippet, I then changed 'true' to 'false', and the website now appeared.
If you come across the same problem on your site, try the following fix above to see if it fixes your issue.
There is also a post about this issue on the Umbraco Forum.
Thank you for reading and I hope you found this post helpful.